Health Tip: After You Run a Marathon
(HealthDay News) -- Preparing for a marathon requires lots of
training and preparation. Preparation
afterthe race is just as important, experts say.
The American Council on Exercise mentions these suggestions for
the hours and days after the big race:
- When you've finished, gradually cool down for five to 10
minutes. Promptly change into dry, warm clothes.
- Ice your tired muscles (avoid a hot bath for one to two days)
and lightly massage the muscles that are sore or hurt.
- Drink plenty of fluids, including water and juice, to help
replenish lost electrolytes and sodium.
- Drink a protein or carb shake within 15 minutes of finishing
- Check for injuries such as blisters or rashes, and promptly
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.