Health Tip: Protect Yourself During a Tornado
(HealthDay News) -- When a tornado is headed for your home, it's
important to take shelter immediately in the safest possible
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these
tornado safety tips:
- Stay away from all windows.
- The safest place in any home is a basement.
- If you do not have a basement, go to the lowest floor, away
from any windows. This space may be a bathroom, closet or
- Position yourself under a sturdy piece of furniture, such as a
table or bench.
- Cover your body with a blanket or mattress and use something to
protect your head.
- Avoid having a very heavy object, such as a piano or
refrigerator, directly above you. The object could fall through the
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.